We Can Expect New Attack Sources, Techniques and Protection Responses from Operators
NEW YORK, Dec. 18, 2018 — Indegy, a leader in industrial cyber security, today announced it has published its ICS security predictions for 2019 on threats facing critical infrastructure, energy providers and utilities, manufacturing and more, in a new blog post here.
“In many ways, 2018 represented the coming of age for industrial cyber security. The old adage that operational technology networks are isolated from threats by an air gap was recognized for what it is, a fallacy in an era of interconnectedness and IIoT technologies,” said Mille Gandelsman, CTO of Indegy. “Over the next 12 months, we can expect both adversaries and their methods to evolve. On the plus side, we can expect both operators and the security industry to make new OT-specific advances in protection techniques.”
Summary of 2019 Predictions
Some of the highlights covered in Indegy’s 2019 industrial cyber security predictions blog include:
- Lone wolf and non-nation state adversaries will emerge, as the barrier for launching operational technology attacks will drop and open the door to the general hacking community
- Expect multi-pronged attacks that target several locations simultaneously or in close succession
- Operators will extend passive security monitoring with decades-old IT security techniques of active querying for deeper visibility into threats than simply listening to network traffic
- Threat intelligence sharing initiatives commonly used in IT security will emerge for operational technologies and environments
- New ICS-specific security standards, best practices and playbooks will be introduced
Indegy, a leader in industrial cyber security, protects industrial control system (ICS) networks from cyber threats, malicious insiders and human error. The Indegy Industrial Cyber Security Suite arms security and operations teams with full visibility, security and control of ICS activity and threats by combining hybrid, policy-based monitoring and network anomaly detection with unique device integrity checks. Indegy solutions are installed in manufacturing, pharmaceutical, energy, water and other industrial organizations around the world.
Marc Gendron PR for Indegy